Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Papa & Gigi's Visit!

Last Saturday, my parents drove their motor home up to our house to stay for a few days. Carina was so excited (and surprised too I think) to see them in person instead of just on the web cam! They ended up parking their motor home in our driveway since the spot on the street that they usually use was occupied by a few cars. Although they blocked the sidewalk and put a very tiny dent in our rain gutter, it was a perfect fit...you know you're a home owner when the sight of a 39 foot RV backing up towards your house makes you want to throw up a little bit!
*pic coming soon!*
Sunday morning we drove to Sausalito to go to the Bay Area Children's Discovery Museum. What a fun place! They have an entire area devoted to toddler's called the Tot Spot. No big kids allowed! Everything there is hands-on learning fun, and it is so nice to put Carina down to go explore knowing it was designed specifically for kids her age (or as the teacher in me would say: developmentally appropriate). She had a great time, and as usual it was fun for all of us to watch her play and discover new things. Below is a picture of her in the "pond room"-it had round waterbeds for ponds, and big buttons on the walls of different animals that made the animal sound when you pushed them.

They also have an art studio there, and Carina headed straight for the painting area of course! I had to fight the urge to steer her towards a less messy activity...it was difficult but I let her go for it! I am not going to be one of those mom's who freaks out about their kid getting dirty...plus I was armed with baby wipes and a change of clothes if necessary!

The museum also has a great outdoor play area, which Carina also really loved, especially the water play. Forget the fact that although it was a beautiful sunny day, this place sits right on the bay so it was windy and about 52 degrees! So of course she wants to play in the water...sigh...oh well it was still fun.
After having some snacks and doing a little damage at the gift shop, we headed home. Mike and I ended up buying a year long (tax deductible!) membership, so now we can go back with up to six people if we want! The membership also includes admission to children's museums all over the country, including one by my parent's house and my sister's house in Colorado. Since we're going to visit them both this summer we figured it was a good investment.
Monday was a laid back kind of day since we were so busy the day before. Mike made Swedish Pancakes for everyone for breakfast-yum! Then later while Carina took her nap my mom and I went shopping. It was actually quite refreshing to go to Target without the worry of our sweet girl deciding when it was time to be done shopping! Browsing is such a luxury :o) Plus it was great to have some girl time with my mom. Later that afternoon we went to a park by our house. I don't know who had more fun on the playground, my dad or Carina!

We were a little sad as always to see Papa and Gigi drive away Tuesday morning. We all had so much fun together, and the days flew by too quickly. My parents had a few commitments they had to get back to at home-I swear they are the busiest retired people I know! Carina kept asking to go out to the "big o home" and see Papa and Gigi, or she would say "I say bye-bye, I blow kisses" A little heartbreaking but sweet! I guess it's just her way of processing the idea that they were here but now they're gone. We'll see them again in June, which will be here before we know it. Thanks for a fantastic time Mom and Dad! We love you and can't wait to see you again soon.
Check out my parent's blog! Click on the link that says Mom & Dad's Blog on my list on the right. They're pretty technologically savvy grandparents :o)

3 comments:

Michelle Wing said...

It looks like you guys had so much fun. I'll have to put that on the list of places to take Andrew when he gets a little older!

mommyreview.com said...

That place is awesome, next time were up in that area we'll have to hit it up (with you in tow for the membership hehe j/k) I love the pics of her exploring. Your comments remind me of the huggies wipes commercials, with the "bubble baby" :) It's always hard to watch them get messy from a mothers perspective!

13 is our Lucky Number said...

sounds likeyou guys had fun as usual.