Saturday, June 27, 2009

Campus Life...

When my parents first moved to their community and began telling me all about the different parties and festivities they have there, I told them that it sounded like my life in the dorms in college! The only thing different is that everyone is of legal drinking age. Whenever we are there, the phone rings frequently with invitations to come over to other peoples "dorms" for drinks/dinners/games. I'll never forget when I was down visiting when I was 8 months pregnant, and their friend invited them over for coffee and pie...at 10 o'clock at night! I was in my pj's ready for bed, and suddenly I was waddling across the street to party! I'm pretty sure I was the only one there without a little "something extra" in my coffee! Now they refer to the community as the "campus", which is totally fitting. Good thing there are no CSA's to write them up...they would be busy :o)
Just like dorm life, there are many different events and activities planned for the residents. Most of these take place at the Lodge (think Student Union). While we were there, one of the events was Karaoke Night (pause for audible groans). Apparently, my Dad is now becoming quite the star! So Carina and I went to cheer him on. My Dad and his friend sang Toby Keith's "I Love this Bar" and they were actually pretty good! Carina kept saying afterward, "Good job Papa! Papa sang karaoke!" Now that we are back at home, nearly every time we say something about Papa, she will say, "Papa sang karaoke...I love this bar!" Not once did we actually talk about the actual song he sang, and she only heard it ONE time. Obviously there is nothing wrong with her hearing!Yes Carina, that was pretty much my reaction when my Dad said he was going to sing!
My Dad (left) and his friend singing-notice the "liquid courage" in my Dad's hand!

I have since learned that my Dad now has 5 songs he sings at karaoke night-they certainly know how to have fun! I can only hope that Mike and I have as great a time when we are retired!(If that ever happens!)

Here are some more pics of our visit. There are people with lots of animals in the surrounding area, so we went to check them out. ("off campus") Thanks again for a great time Mom and Dad! We love you!
Our little Dr. Doolittle talking to the animals
Someone owns a zebra out there! Random, but pretty cool...

Love this one :o)

3 comments:

Liz Robitaille said...

Your parents are so cute! They need to keep up on their blog so we can see how much fun they are having there!

Bill and Paige said...

I want to live with them...sounds so much fun:)

13 is our Lucky Number said...

Your parents have always been super active. I am glad that they still are.