Friday, June 20, 2008

Always learning...


All parents make mistakes, right? There is no such thing as perfect, and just because we make mistakes does not make us bad parents. That is my current mantra, because although I feel Mike and I are a great parenting team the one thing we didn't do was teach Carina how to sleep from the beginning. I can't say that this was done out of ignorance-I read many times that you should lay your baby down when they are drowsy but not asleep so they learn how to fall asleep on their own. That seemed simple, but let me tell you when you are exhausted and sleep deprived, it is very tempting to do whatever it takes to have that baby fall asleep in your arms and then lay her down so you are guaranteed some sleep. So that is what we did...and to compound the problem we had her sleeping in bed with us. There are many opinions about this, but we were co-sleeping for the first few months because it worked for our whole family. Now, however, our almost 9 month old child coming in to our bed at 2 a.m. and thrashing around to get comfortable is not working for us anymore. If you were to have an aerial view of our bed, the three of us look like a capital "H". The little stinker sleeps sideways, inevitably kicking one of us in the face. Not exactly a nice wake up call! So I am determined to teach our little one to sleep in her own crib. Everyone will be happier if she does, and we all know that happy baby=happy parents and vice versa. We've been reading up on sleep training, and I think we have found a method that will work for us. I'll keep you posted-wish us luck ...and sweet dreams!!!

1 comment:

The Stiles Family said...

Don't worry Kimi. We did the same thing with the slleping in the bed. Harrison was about a year old when he started sleeping in his crib and falling asleep on his own. It will happen, I promise. We are back in a sleeping battle again. I feel like he is a newborn all over again. I feel like I am in sleep deprivation mode again.