Sunday, June 22, 2008

Never a dull moment


Today started out great...early, but great. Mike had to go to L.A. for a conference, so I had to take him to the Sonoma County airport this morning. (If you consider it morning when the sun is not even up yet!) We left the house at 4:45 A.M. to drop him off...but Carina went right back to sleep in the car and actually stayed asleep when we got home until...get this....8:30! I actually got 3 hours of extra sleep! Woo-hoo!
Now fast forward to this evening. Carina and I got home after having dinner at Mike's mom's house around 6:30. She was getting super tired so I was hurrying to get her to bed. While I'm reading her bedtime stories to her, Bailey starts barking his head off. Normally, she is not bothered by this since it is a regular occurrence in our home, but he would not shut up! Goodnight Moon was going something like this "Goodnight stars (Bailey be quiet!) goodnight air (Bailey HUSH!)" Finally I gave up and ignored him and put Carina in her crib for Day 3 of teaching her how to fall asleep on her own. The approach we are trying involves sitting in a chair next to her bed, not leaving the room until she is asleep. Well I could not take anymore of the pansy dog barking at the wind for all I knew so I ran downstairs to see what his issue was. I never did find out because as I entered the kitchen I saw a thick dark moving line on the counter top. ANTS. I HATE ANTS. They were everywhere, and their victim was a sliver of pineapple coconut loaf I had stupidly left in the pan on the stove. (Yes, I made it and it was good) So Bailey is barking, Carina is now crying louder, and I'm frantically trying to at least get the pan in the sink and drown some of the little bastards before I race back upstairs to calm my daughter so she can try and go to sleep! I know I could have left them for the moment, but all rational thought was on a temporary vacation.
The good news is that Carina laid down (she has learned to stand up in her crib) and fell asleep with only about 20 minutes of tears. I kept telling myself, "I am not making her cry, I am allowing her to cry so she will learn to fall asleep on her own and she will be a happy baby" After I was sure she was safely in dreamland, I went down to take great pleasure in exterminating the ants. I got out the vacuum and sucked up the little boogers as much as I could, then strategically placed more ant traps. Any survivors will hopefully tell their buddies that this house is not worth invading.
You know what makes this even more irritating? While I am battling ants, barking dogs, and a crying baby, my husband is enjoying an evening at Downtown Disney. He better bring me back a present. Or three.


She's thinking, "Bailey, please no barking!"



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture.

Liz Robitaille said...

You should try "Ant Blocker", it's a sprinkle type Ant bait that they LOVE. The trick is that you have to deal with ants over the night. They eat the bait, take it make to the queen and by the next morning ALL of your ants will be gone.
I love it! Down here in the desert there are lots of ants but this kills them all.

Ballesteros Family said...

does this work???

Ballesteros Family said...

does this work???

Mike said...

For the record I wasn't at Downtown Disney. I was in Hollywood. :)

Liz Robitaille said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz Robitaille said...

I'm sorry, the stuff is actually called "AMDRO Ant Block" it's in a white jug with a green label available at places like Home Depot and such. I just happened to need it myself this week, I was out in the backyard and found two fresh ant hills. Damn Ants!