Monday, June 23, 2008

Bean Thief

I am a bad influence on my dear daughter already. I know better, but I did it anyway. Today at Safeway Carina was riding around in the shopping cart pointing at various different things. I was like her personal tour guide. "And on our left, we have the organic vegetables: broccoli, asparagus, and here are some green beans." Well, Carina loves green beans. We usually give her one to munch on while we get dinner ready. She was perfectly content to eat her Cheerios that I constantly have on hand now, but I thought that she would be more occupied if she had a green bean. So....I took one. Just one! I gave it to her and she happily chomped away on it like the organic teether that it is. I fully intended on telling the cashier as I was checking out that I needed to pay for one green bean, which I'm sure would end up costing a penny and a good eye roll from the checker. Yet by the time we were at the register I had forgotten about the stolen bean and didn't remember until we were home. So I explained to Carina that Mommy had made a mistake and that it isn't ok to take things without paying for them. She listened very intently as she banged on a bowl with measuring spoon. Sorry kiddo, your Mommy is a bean thief!

6 comments:

Bill and Paige said...

I love it! I still take a candy every once in awhile. My grandma always told us that it was stealing...it was tasting to make sure you wanted to buy a lot!

The Stiles Family said...

I love the fact that you stole a green bean...most people go for the candy bins:) Can Carina come teach Harrison how to eat his vegetables?

Michelle Wing said...

When the price of green beans goes up, we will have you to blame. They will need to mark up the prices to make up for the people who steal 1 bean at a time. ;)

Ballesteros Family said...

It is customers like you that make us grocery people want to put signs up that read "this is not a tasting area"...LOL....At least she likes her veggies and the green ones at that!!!!

Gramma & Poppa Brown said...

You have the right to remain silent...

Ali C. said...

Anytime Carina wants to just "take" something, you tell her they are just for show. That's how my mom got me to not touch a damn thing. I am still scarred.