Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Queen of the Cuisinart

Oh boy! I love pureed...anything!

I have nothing against Gerber or any other company that makes baby food, but I decided that I would make homemade baby food for Carina. Most of you that know me are probably surprised because Mike is the chef in our home. He actually enjoys cooking and is great at it. Me...not so much. He still wont let me forget the unfortunate lemon chicken incident of 2001. Please don't be worried for our little one's digestive system, because making baby food is so darn easy! I am having lots of fun baking, steaming, and puree-ing away! Carina has not shunned any of my creations so far (that's my smart girl!). Her favorite I think is what I call Baby Smoothie: bananas, blueberries, and peaches. Yum! I pour it into ice cube trays and freeze them, then I just pull out a couple cubes at a time for meals. Mike likes it because it does save a little money, and has made my trips to Target a little less frequent...hmmm...maybe I should rethink this!
Top: Cantaloupe
Bottom: Baby Smoothie


5 comments:

Michelle Wing said...

Mmmm, a smoothie sounds really good right now. Carina is so lucky to have her own personal chef!

Liz Robitaille said...

I'm sure you have something that already works well, but my friend, Robin, uses the "magic bullet" blender when she was making her own babyfood. My mom has had one, too, for about 5 years and it's still working. It's really easy, and minimal clean-up.
Robin is on this total healthy eating kick with her second daughter. For her "toddler", she cuts up tofu and serves it with black beans for a meal. She laughs and says she already ruined her first kid, who'll only eat hot dogs and chicken nuggets, so she's making a serious effort with her second!

ballesteros fam said...

Good 4 you guys....I want to do this...How long does it take to defrost the food? Do you puree the veggies that you make for dinner for Carina?

Bill and Paige said...

My sisters use the magic bullet too! You can puree and freeze right in the same bowl.

Runninfast said...

So, I'm sure it's not the same thing, but I have a book of recipes for horse treats and reading this has motivated me to make some home mades for my own "baby" lol! You are such a cool Mom:)